Do you want to know How to Check TDS level of Water at Home?
your water is drinkable or not?
Is it hard or soft water?
What is the TDS level of water?
How we check which water is suitable for you, bore well water, MNCs water or municipal, etc.
RO Purified water has low TDS level; it is good or bad?
These kinds of questions you all have in your mind.
What is the TDS level?
TDS is a total dissolved solids present in water that solid may be organic or inorganic; it may have chemicals, minerals, or may not. Some may be good for you, or some maybe not.
Why do You Need to Check TDS?
It is necessary to check the TDS level of water you drinking in your life because we drink water that has essential minerals that our body needs, but some times when drink bottle water they 20-30 TDS level. It does not have any minerals, and it has only water that may harm your body.
Nowadays, many water purified companies give RO technology water purifiers they also the same amount or TDS level or higher up to max 80-100 because in all TDS levels, that level of water is tested than ever. But it also not have any minerals in it.
How to Check TDS Level of Water at Home So You can Check Water is Drinkable?
Well, BIS (Bureau of Indian standard) says that we can drink water up to 500mg/liter. Up to that point, our body will be fine and acceptable.
Once you go through this table.
|TDS LEVEL (MG/L)||REASONS FOR ACCEPTABILITY / NON-ACCEPTANCE|
|Less than 50||Not acceptable. Because water with such a low TDS level does not contain the essential minerals.|
|50-150||Acceptable. However, the TDS level in the range of 80-150 is considered ideal. If you are using an RO water purifier, then make sure the TDS level of purified water is not below 80 mg/L.|
|150-250||Acceptable. This is the ideal TDS range as far as cardiovascular fitness is considered.|
|250-350||Acceptable. Most urban Indian homes have access to water in this TDS range.|
|350-500||Acceptable. As per the BIS guidelines, the TDS level below 500 mg/L is acceptable.|
|500-900||Not acceptable. Use a RO water purifier with a TDS controller or mineralizer.|
|900-1200||Not acceptable. Use a RO water purifier with a TDS controller or mineralizer.|
|1200-2000||Not acceptable and not fit for drinking. Choose a RO water purifier that can purify water with up to 2000 mg/L|
|Above 2000||Do not drink. Most home water purifiers can’t purify water with a TDS level over 2000 mg/L.|
Now, if we talk about the taste of the water. It the palatability of drinking water is given below in the table.
|TDS LEVEL (MG/L)||RATING|
|Less than 300||Excellent|
How to Check TDS Level of Water at Home?
There are different kinds of method to check the TDS level of water, but commonly used methods are:-
1) Using Digital TDS Meter
This method is easiest in all ways. In this, you only need a digital TDS meter that you can buy from anywhere offline or online you will get in around 100-200 rupees.
Following steps are taken:-
Step 2 – you have to measure the temperature of the water.
- Switch the meter on
- Press the TEMP button to get the temperature of water in Celsius.
- To return to TDS mode, press the TEMP button again.
Step 2) – Measure the TDS level. To do that, follow the given instructions:
- Remove the protective cap.
- Turn the TDS meter On. You will find the ON/OFF switch is on the panel.
- Immerse the meter into the water up to the maximum immersion level (2 inches).
- Gently stir the meter to dislodge any air bubbles.
- Wait till the reading stabilizes (approximately 10 seconds).
- Press the HOLD button and take it out of the water to view the reading.
- If the meter displays the ‘x10’ symbol, it means that you have to multiply the reading by 10.
- After use, shake off the excess water from your meter and replace the cap.
- For better results, try to check at a calmer atmosphere where the temperature is average, don’t try outside home at sunlight or where you have a high temperature.
- You have to dip for only 2 inches, not more than that for better results.
2) The Electrical Conductivity Meter Method
Water content organic and inorganic salts. So with the help of the electrical conductivity meter method, we can check the TDS level of water.
- Sterilized glass beaker
- Water sample
- Electrical conductivity meter
The electrical conductivity meter method works by releasing an electric current into water, and then we measure its resistance.
Measure of conductivity: –
- First, we have to keep the beaker on a flat surface.
- Then switch on the conductivity meter and put the lead into the water so we can measure.
- Then reading will fluctuate a but for a few seconds before coming to stable condition, you should note the reading after it becomes stable.
- It measures the purity of water in us (micro Siemens). The lower is value the pure us the water.
- Now enter the data into the following formula to get the TDS level of water.
TDS(mg/litre)=KE(Co-relation factor) X KE(Conductivity)
KE(Co-relation factor) depends on water, and it’s nature and temperature of the water, and it also depends on atmospheric conditions.
The value of KE ranges from 0.55 to 0.8.
3) Using Filter Paper and Scale
Here we measure the TDS level by the everyday thing that we use in our homes or kitchens.
What do we need?
- Sterilized beaker
- Sample of water
- Filter paper
- Evaporating dish
- Stirring stick
Now, what steps you have to take?
- First, you have to weigh the empty evaporating dish and check that the plate is completely dry and free from all kinds of particles and note down the weight in mg.
- Now take a stirring stick and vigorously stir sample of water in the sterilized beaker.
- Now collect the 50ml of water with the help of a pipette. Please check that stir water us in continuous and collect the sample.
- Extract the water sample from the filter paper into a beaker and repeat the same thing three to four times. There will be some particles behind filter paper that cover the whole area.
- If you were able to see any particles into filter paper, transfer to an evaporating dish, and wait for it becomes scorched.
- Once it gets completely dry, weigh the evaporating dish again and compare both before and after and note down the difference.
- Then put into a formula to get the TDS level.
TDS= (B-A) X 1000 / ml sample
A = Weight of only evaporating dish.
B = Weight of evaporating dish and filtrate.
Note: – You have taken a 50ml of water as a sample, so in a formula, you have to put a 50 in the place of ml.
Then find out what is the TDS level of water. If you are getting up to 500mg/l, then it is fit for human drinking. If it is above that, then you have to use any UV or UF technology water purifier, but if it is above 1200mg/l, then you have to use the RO water purifier.
- Don’t weigh till filtrate gets completely dry for better results.
- Check twice at the time of weighing of evaporating dish before the filtrate and after
Read This: – 6 Ways to Reuse the RO Waste Water